Saturday, November 3, 2012

Oceanside, California

 
The commercial about California people having "board" meetings...and it shows them all surfing...its really true. Mornings that I was able to rise before the sun, I would pack my bag and cooler and make the hour trip to the beach-to a funky small town known as Oceanside. Its in Southern California and really just a long northern continuation of San Diego. There I found a neat surf museum, the area's oldest diner-101 Cafe, and enough sand, surf, and sunshine to make me a very happy girl :)
 
During these early predawn outings I would park at the beach and watch dads and mostly grandpas zip up their  wet suits and trot the wide beach with their surf boards in hand to hang together in the sea foam like they were a fraternity of brothers at a business meeting. Chantings and cheering on each other as they caught a wave and being one with mother nature. It had to be the closest to Heaven for most of those guys... I was amazed just watching their skill and how each one just floated above the surf without an ounce of fear in their movements.

 
Oceanside also offered many sunsets and an amazing Thursday night Farmers Market that shut down several streets of downtown. The market featured live music, food vendors, crafts, flowers, clothes, jewelry and massages :) It is something I still dream about and think it is worth a visit...and revisit!


No comments:

Post a Comment