Sunday, December 8, 2013

Emeral City at the Edge of My World



   Enchanted forests and magical waters...this fairy land hosts many outdoor activities to suit all your adventure needs! The best part, at least for me, is there is a history rich in music, creativity and art. There are tons of opportunities to enrich yourself in the grunge lifestyle that carries the scent of salt water.
 


This city is set up much like the game Chutes & Ladders. The islands of Puget Sound connect to the streets of Seattle by bridges and water ferries. It is a total must when visiting the area that you take time out  to ride one of the ferries to an island to explore. It will be a great chance for pictures of the city line and contact with creatures of the dark blue sea. I rented a car for my long weekend there, mainly because I wanted to do some major site seeing in and out of the city, island hopping and exploring- which didn't seem super accessible through public transportation. The downtown area you can find a parking spot close to the shopping district/Pikes Market or The Needle, there is a metro train that connects these two areas but other than that, you are walking or public transit buses.
 
One of the first things I ALWAYS suggest when visiting a new city is to take a tour. I love the hop on and off tours because they give you tons of information and you can jump off and spend as little or long as you want and see many of the big site seeing spots of the city. The tour I found that was listed as "a must" in Seattle is the Duck Tour. This is a city and water tour aboard one of the land and sea vehicles. They provide fun entertainment along with tips and information of the city while driving through the streets then enter into Lake Union for a water tour. Here you get to see the famous house boats and watch water planes land, along with another view of the city scape and boat life of the thriving city.





 



Sleepless in Seattle house










Seattle is also known for its crazy places of interest such at the troll under the bridge who holds a real size Volkswagen bug in his hand, gum wall with years and years of DNA outside of an old theatre entrance, Ballard locks and the Salmon run which allow boats in and out of the sea and sound and provide and underwater viewing of the Salmon coming back into the lake to lay their eggs. Most of these things aren't on the usual welcome visitor materials. I do a lot of research and reading on interesting sites and unusual things to see in the cities I visit. I was lucky enough to have a cousin that lives in Seattle so he gave me the full tour of the city and surrounding areas.



And who can pass up Starbucks?? I am NOT a coffee drinker but I have a few things at Starbuck that I can not live without (chia tea latte)...yummmmmm. Just outside and down from Pikes Market is the first little Starbucks-expect a line!  You just can't pass up the yummy sip as you stroll the shops of the market. Seattle is definitely the mecca of coffee (because of the dreary rainy weather from what I was told). Every block it seems was a very small hut that served up espresso a hundred of different ways. So, you will not go without energy here!







Heading out to the most northwestern point of the US- you get a very scenic view of the Olympic National Forest and many small ports and bays along the way. The state road 112 winds along the coast and gives glimpses of Canada just on the other side of the water. Most of what you will see are logging areas where trees are being cut down and harvested along with small really dumpy American Indian villages. One we stopped at just outside of the trail area was sitting on Neah Bay. The water was soooo still-just majestic. Unfortunately the day I headed out (the least cloudy day) it was still very foggy and I didn't get the full coastal experience I wanted-but it was still gorgeous! When I am next to the water, I feel complete and fully at peace. I know I had to be a mermaid in another life!  









The trail is hidden on in a curvy road in the middle of no where but well taken care of. Most of it is made of wood planks or steps. It takes you through the forest which looks like you are walking through the set of Twilight (which happens to be just a few hrs south). There are many signs about bears around the area because you are in the middle of bear country but I didn't get to see any- I was more busy with trying to get my eyes on a real bald eagle!
  The amazing part of the western US coastline are the rocky cliffs giving home to hidden gems such as sea caves! Peering deep in there I am sure they provide a home for many treasures. One I could see several star fish--but I think that is for sure where my home would be, if I were a mermaid...









There are many many great places to see and things to do along the market and waterfront. A good place to grab some fresh fish and chips! The aquarium is located on the water among different seafood restaurants from cheap to five stars. This is also a great place to catch a ferry to Vancouver!







Seattle is a place with a laid back, grunge/geeky feel that has the ability to kiss your face with the salt water. Slow pace intertwined in the hustle and bustle of a city that expands from coast to mountains and a foreign land. Its a must to jump on a plane and take a stroll in the city to learn about music, technology, outdoors and the many arts that are represented.
 



 

 
 
 
 Of course, the main place to go while you are in Seattle is to visit Pikes Market. This was a lot bigger than I expected-hosting several stories and many craft along with food and produce vendors. I do believe you could get about anything you wanted from the market to make a wonderful meal or graze on some snacks ;).
 
 
The one thing I was really excited to see is the guys throw some fish around at the market. I guess the day I went wasn't a great day for people being there and buying fish...they were mostly just standing around cleaning. I can't imagine the site of these huge fish flying through the air! I'm sure they weigh a "ton" and gotta be a little slippery...  
 


So, purchase a ticket, spread your wings and fly to Seattle to experience a whole new fresh world. Sites of the city, mountains, ocean and many lakes will awaken your spirits and inside adventurer. I did get lucky in the month of September going and it wasn't very rainy during the day when I was touring around the town, but do take a jacket or two...rent a car and hit the road! Many gems to be found that sparkle on the emerald coast...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment